Title: Antipas: Martyr
Publisher: Deep River Books
Cover blurb: Young Antipas is steeped in the religion of Zeus but his belief that there must be more to life finds him rejected and driven away from his own family and home. Overwhelmed by his loss, he cowers in the darkness when an opportunity arises for him to leave behind his troubles and embark on a new life. On the ancient Roman road through the wilderness of Asia, Antipas finds a new friend in Epaphras who teaches him everything he can about Christ. Laying his life on the line, he lives in danger from his own father and brothers as he grapples with the forces of good and evil in an epic battle for his soul.
1) How did this story come to you?
I was reading in the book of Revelation chapter two where Christ is talking to the church of Pergamum. He mentioned Antipas, his faithful witness who was martyred where Satan lives. I was intrigued and did some research on him. He is not mentioned anywhere else in the Bible, and there is little historical information about him. I decided to write his story.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
As a new author, it is hard to break into the publishing world. Major publishing companies state on their websites that they do not accept manuscripts from new authors. One site directed me to Christian Manuscript Submissions, an online site where you can (for a fee) post information about your manuscript. I did this and was approached by Deep River Books. When they read my manuscript, they suggested I have it critiqued, which I did. Then I did a revision of the book and submitted it again. This time it was accepted!
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
1. I spent 27 years in the field of Education as a junior high teacher and principal of an elementary Christian School.
2. I have a great desire to travel to Russia. This country has long fascinated me as I have read many stories set in Russia prior to the Revolution.
3. I love politics and have harbored a secret dream to run for office at the federal level.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I have completed the manuscript for ‘Pergamum: Satan’s Throne’ which is the sequel to ‘Antipas: Martyr’. I have over 22,000 words written on a third book titled ‘Huldah: Prophetess’. This is a stand-alone book and is based on the life of Huldah found in 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles. She was a prophetess when Josiah was King.
5) Parting comments?
Writing for me is pure joy. It has been a life-long dream to write a book. Now that I have had my first book published, my dream has expanded. I now want to write 10. I have ideas for all ten and maybe more.
6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
My website is http://www.sharondow.ca and I can be found on facebook – Sharon Dow and/or Antipas: Martyr.