Thursday, December 19, 2019

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...


We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness. To learn more about her and Lioness, please read on...

Back cover blurb

While the Israelites struggle to occupy the Promised Land of God, Mahlah bat Zelophehad is orphaned and left to care for her four sisters. But daughters of the dead are unable to inherit land, and it will take a miracle for Mahlah to obtain the means to care for her sisters and uphold the vow she made to her dying mother.

Mahlah must seek Moses, the leader of her people, and request something extraordinary—the right for a daughter to inherit her deceased father’s land. A right that will upset the ox-cart of male inheritance and cast her in the role of a rebel.

But, God is the protector of the orphan and the widow, and five orphaned daughters need His help. With God, anything is possible. Even changing man’s tradition.
Please give us the first page of the book.
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30 
      Mahlah arched her back. A sky, blue and crisp like a faceted gem, draped over the camp. No trade winds cooled the warmth of the fresh, new sun. She picked up a basket from outside her family’s ramskin tent and wedged it against her hip. Grasping her woven belt, she shifted the leather, so her knife was but a flinch away. She wouldn’t allow any beast in the wilderness to harm her sisters.
       “Come on, Tirzah. The dew is gone.”
       Tirzah emerged from behind the tent flap. She blinked at the brightness and wrinkled her nose. “Why do I have to gather manna?”
       “Because it is your turn.” Mahlah reached to take the hand of her youngest sister. “Hurry now, before Father stirs.”
       A gurgling noise rumbled from Tirzah’s belly.
       Mahlah stifled a laugh. “We better go before your hunger wakes the neighbors.”
      “It won’t.” Tirzah pressed her lips together. Her stone-collecting satchel hung at her side.
      “If we stay here and let our kin harvest the closest manna, your rumble will turn into a roar.”

Please tell us five random things we might not know about you.
-          I love watching football
-          In High School, I was on a Bible quizzing team
-          I was a Blue Bird in grade school, and I loved selling (and eating) thin mints
-          I’m the only girl in my home
-          I’m a breast cancer survivor

Why did you choose to write this book?
I’ve been a Christian for a long time, but I had never heard the story of the daughters of Zelophehad. These girls aren’t one hit wonders in the Bible either. There is a lot of Scripture about their groundbreaking “ask” of Moses and of God. I wanted to bring their story to light, so others could be inspired by these orphaned sisters.

What one thing about writing do you wish non-writers would understand? 
Publishing can be a slow process. If an author is traditionally published, a book may take 18 months to get to the shelves. Couple that with the time taken to write a book, and an author may be busy, but a reader doesn’t see their efforts. I wish the traditional process was quicker.

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?
With the invention of social media platforms, authors can be contacted night and day by readers. While interactions are wonderful, some can be hurtful. Not every book is for every reader. I was contacted by a reader who didn’t like one of my novels and then challenged my faith. I don’t mind a book critique, but no reader should judge my relationship with God.

What do you hope readers take away from your novel?
The theme for “Lioness” is “Go forth with God.” The daughters of Zelophehad trusted God enough to seek an inheritance that had never been given to women. Especially, unwed girls. Their faith in God is an inspiration. They are also bold. The girls seek Joshua many years later and remind him of God’s promise of land.

What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of, writing-related or not?
My children aren’t perfect, but they are walking with the Lord. Their belief brings me joy. I taught elementary chapel for many years and I believe children’s ministry is very important. Teaching isn’t easy, but it is rewarding. After eight years of writing manuscripts, my first book contract was a joy, too.

What do you do for fun when not writing?
I am finding marketing my books to be fun. At first it was overwhelming, but I have found a groove. I also enjoy reading, baking, and walking (which I need to do after eating what I baked). I enjoy dancing, but my husband isn’t too fond of dancing.

What are you working on now? 
I am working on another Biblical story, but before it will hit the shelves, I have a historical novel set during WWI that will release (after the DoZ series). “Until June” is a hope-filled caregiver story based on a true story I heard on a cruise ship excursion.

How about you? Did you know the story about the daughters of Zelophehad?
Check out Numbers 26:33, 27:1-11, chapter 36 and Joshua 17:3-6
You can find Barb on:

Amazon Link for “Lioness.”

Bio
Barbara M. Britton lives in Southeast Wisconsin and loves the snow—when it accumulates under three inches. Barb writes romantic adventures for teens and adults. She is published in Biblical fiction and enjoys bringing little known Bible characters to light in her stories. Barb is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, Romance Writers of America and Wisconsin Romance Writers of America. Barb has a nutrition degree from Baylor University but loves to dip healthy strawberries in chocolate. Find out more about Barb’s books at http://www.barbarambritton.com/books.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on the blog, K. Dawn. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13-AM-300x200.png 300w, https://www.laweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Screen-Shot-2021-06-18-at-11.04. So, if you are a regular cannabinoid user and expect periodic drug tests, follow a regular detoxify regimen to cleanse your blood of the toxins frequently Visit: https://www.urineworld.com/

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...