We're happy to have Dan Walsh with us today talking about his book,The Homecoming. To learn more about Dan and his book, read on!
1) How did this story come to you? The Homecoming is a sequel to my first novel, The Unfinished Gift, which released last September. After finishing the first book, I hadn’t intended to write a sequel. But I knew I wasn’t ready to leave these characters behind; they had become like family. And I could see they had at least one more story to tell. This time, a love story. Best-selling author Colleen Coble called it, “One of the most touching and delightful love stories I’ve ever read.” When I read her endorsement, I was so happy, because that’s exactly what I’d set out to do with the second book.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published. The Unfinished Gift was a one-book deal. My agent and editor both asked me, “What else do you have in mind?” When I told them I thought there was another book here, at first they were reluctant. Both felt the first story seemed complete. Then I said, “I’m thinking about a love story on this...between Shawn and Katherine.” Both said they said they’d thought about that possibility but wondered how it could happen (we all knew there’d be some serious obstacles to overcome). When I told them what I had in mind they both instantly loved the idea and asked me to start developing it. Revell offered the second contract after I’d written about 75 pages.
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers. Hmmm…First, I don’t sing half bad; I’m at least as good as the singers on American Idol who get knocked out in the early rounds. Second, while I do love and listen to Christian music, I also really enjoy the old standards, songs being brought back now by guys like Michael Buble and Harry Connick, Jr. And third, when I got saved as a senior in high school, I was a long-haired surf bum who had absolutely no ambition to be anything else for the rest of my life.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you? As most of you know, the publishing world moves pretty slow. My second book (the one featured here) has just come out, but I’m actually finishing up my fourth book now. The working title is The Book Nook. It’s a Christmas novel set in 1980, about a little bookstore owned and run by Art and Leanne Bell. The day after Thanksgiving, Art collapses at the store and is found by a homeless man. It’s the busiest shopping time of year but Leanne needs to stay in the hospital by Art’s side. Her son, Rick, a CPA in Charlotte, reluctantly agrees to help. He cancels his skiing trip and drives down to Seabreeze, Florida, his old hometown. He thought he’d left it for good ten years ago. Over the coming days, Rick gets re-introduced to the mother he’s ignored and the stepfather he’s rejected, as he listens to a host of charming and eccentric characters, whose lives have been forever changed…at The Book Nook. Oh…and Rick is also introduced to a woman who will turn his life upside down.
5) Parting comments? Thanks so much for the chance to interact with your readers. If they decide to pick up a copy of The Homecoming my first hope is that they’ll thoroughly enjoy themselves. I hope they’ll feel transported back to a simpler time when our country made a whole lot more sense and become totally immersed in the lives of characters I’ve come to love. And I hope every reader will be able to say what Colleen Coble said when they finish the last page.
We're happy to have Max Elliot Anderson with us today talking about his book,Secret of Abbott's Cave. To learn more about Max and his book, read on!
1) How did this story come to you? In addition to writing for kids, I’m a video producer. I had a production in Virginia covering the construction of a unique water reclamation facility. We had to travel there three times, and it gave us the opportunity to visit several of the caves in the area.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published. I already had a publisher for Secret of Abbott’s Cave, however, the company ultimately went bankrupt late last year. This book will be republished, along with my first 7 titles, by the end of this year.
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers. I’m an avid NASCAR fan. I grew up hating to read, and English was one of my all time worst subjects in school.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you? I recently finished Lost Island Smugglers which is book # 1 in the new Sam Cooper Adventure Series. The next two books in the series, Captain Jack’s Treasure and River Rampage are already written. This fall, a second publisher will release Barney and the Runaway. This is the same publisher that will republish my original seven titles and we’ve signed an option for another sixteen titles which are also already written. I’m spending most of my time now in promotion, marketing, speaking, and platform building. I’m also writing shorter material for articles, a Chicken Soup book short story, and projects like that.
5) Parting comments? I’d love to be writing again. I feel the most at peace when I disappear into my writing room and work on the next action-adventure or mystery. But today, writing is only a small part of an author’s life. We are called upon to do as much marketing and promotion as we can. I like to tell aspiring writers that writing their manuscript is the easy part. It’s what comes next that represents the really hard work including finding an agent, a publisher, and then letting the world know about your work.
We're happy to have Bonnie Leon with us today talking about her book,Touching the Clouds. To learn more about Bonnie and her book, read on!
1) How did this story come to you? My mother grew up in Alaska where she and her family lived on a homestead. The only way to get in and out was either by boat or plane. Bush pilots were her connection to the outside world. She loved and admired them.
The stories my mother shared about those days have stuck with me, and throughout the years she’s given me several books about the bush pilots of Alaska. One day while reading one of these books I had a glimmer of a story. It grew and soon I was ready to tell the story of a woman named Kate who flew the Alaskan bush.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published. How did you know this was a journey? When I first came up with the idea for this story I thought it would be easy to write. After all, I’ve written several books set in Alaska and I’ve done a good deal of writing placed in the 1930’s.
I couldn’t have been more wrong about it being easy. The flying sequences were extremely difficult because I wasn’t a pilot. I needed to find one and I did—Gayle Ranney. She’s been a bush pilot in Alaska for more than fifty years. She’s amazing. I couldn’t have written the book without her.
When I finished the book I felt that something was out of sync with the story. My editor confirmed my fears and I had to go back and rework the book, beginning with my characters. When the characters change, everything changes. I basically had to rewrite the entire book. But, I feel good about the finished product.
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers. 1)Back in the 60’s and early 70’s I was part of the hippy movement, a “flower child” at heart. I experimented with drugs and life and was actually arrested at one point. The real secret, though, is that I have good memories of those times—they were fun and weird, and filled with good friends.
2)After four years of marriage, my husband and I separated and filed for divorce. We had only to show up in court when God stepped in and saved us and our marriage. We will celebrate our thirty-ninth anniversary in August. God is good.
3)The first book I ever wrote (The Journey of Eleven Moons) sold to the first publishing house to look at it and it became a bestseller. That whole process really took me by surprise.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you? I’m working on book three in the Alaskan Skies Series. Actually I haven’t started the process of writing yet. I’m thinking mostly and doing some reading. I know how the book begins and how it ends, but all the stuff in the middle is still a mystery.
5) Parting comments? Remember that God is good all the time. Even on our worst day, He is good. We can trust Him.
We're happy to have Norm Grant with us today talking about his book,You Want Me To...WHAT?To learn more about Norm and his book, read on!
1) How did this story come to you? God put it on my heart to share the spiritual journey and story that he’s been doing in and through me since surrendering my life to Jesus Christ. People not only love to hear stories but we learn so much more when we hear stories from others who have gone through similar challenges. My hope and prayer with this book is that it inspires others to draw closer to God and also encourages them to let go and fully trust in His plan for their lives.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published. I would have never seen myself writing a book, let alone Christian based. The journey of getting this book published has been filled with many insights and experiences. The whole process has been a stretch out of my comfort zone and one that has directed me to rely on and trust in God.
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers. 1) I’m not your typical churched person. 2) My spiritual journey has taken me from an unreached Saul type of person who had a powerful Damascus Road experience to that of a Paul mission and calling. 3) This whole thing began after my wife made a simple prayer asking God to touch her husband’s heart. (watch what you prayer for)
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you? At present I’m in the process of beginning the marketing campaign for the book and letting God direct me as to where he’s wanting me to speak his word, wherever that is. He seems to be calling me to share his word wherever that maybe. The funny thing about it is that God is starting to write another book on my heart and so I’m also beginning to work on that as well.
5) Parting comments? My hope and prayer is that the words written on the pages of this book inspire people to hand the pen over to God and let him start to write the story he has in store for each and every one of us. Answering God’s call on our lives is about risking to leave the safety of our comfort zone by letting go and trusting in God.
Register to win Queen of Hearts... Hey, guys! Your moderator here. It's been a while since I've given away a copy of my book. Of course, it'll be in eformat. To register to win, place your e-mail address in the box to the right (subscribe to my blog via e-mail) if you've not done so and leave me a commment with your e-mail address. (To learn more about the book, click on the cover image to the left...)
If you don't know how to read an ebook, follow the instructions below on how to get the Kindle for your computer. Scroll to the bottom and click on the link to see 100 free ebooks that you can download after you've installed the Kindle app on your pc.
Follow these steps to download the Kindle app: 1) Go to my Amazon page http://www.amazon.com/Queen-of-Hearts-ebook/dp/B003EV5T3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1270176182&sr=1-2 2) Scroll down. You'll see "Kindle for PC" to the right 3) Click to download the Kindle app 4) Go back to my page above and you can download my book to read the first few chapters for free. This will let you know it's working. When it downloads, you'll see the number "1" in the Archive at the top left. 5) Click on Archive to move the book over to your library. 6) Enjoy! 7) If you like the free viewing of "Queen of Hearts," I'd appreciate your supporting my work by buying the book. Thanks so much and enjoy the Kindle books!
I'm actively seeking submissions that would be a blessing to women. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a devotional or "words of encouragement post" you'd like to have considered for this blog. Have a beautiful day!
K. Dawn's books...
Subscribe to my blog via email
Join me at the Christian Fiction Gathering by clicking on the photo below
A Facebook group
Available now...Hotline Girl
Available now...Something Beautiful
Available now...Double Identity
Available now...Amazing Love
Available now...This Time for Keeps
Available now....Queen of Hearts
Available now...Killing Time
Available now...Mistaken Identity
Available now...Shattered Identity
Available now...Love Letters
Available now...Fatal Attraction
Available now....Witty Quotes
Available now...Lessons from the Open Road
Available now...Designing Destiny
Fiction Finder can help you find the perfect book...