Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Interview with Alexis A. Goring & spotlight of Love in Pictures...



We are happy to have Alexis Goring with us today talking about her novel Love in Pictures. For more information, please click on the cover, the link, or read on!

Back cover blurb for Love in Pictures (book) by Alexis A. Goring:
Wedding photographer Michelle Hadley has a passion for diversity and believes that love comes in all colors. So, she’s working hard to convince editors to feature her clients’ images on the covers of the mainstream bridal and wedding magazines.

Despite having a career that focuses on celebrating forever love, Michelle has never actually been in a romantic relationship, and she’s not looking for love, until she meets the one man she cannot forget.

Since his fiancée broke his heart, Logan Emerson’s focus has been on his career. He’s won awards for his work as a print journalist and dreams of greater success on television as a broadcast journalist. But his personal struggle presents many challenges that might prevent his dreams from coming true.

Michelle doesn’t date often, and since his heartbreak, Logan has shied away from the dating scene. But something about Michelle awakens Logan’s desire to love again.


The first page of the book:

Chapter 1

Michelle Hadley stared at the Lightroom editing screen on her computer and studied the newlywed couple she’d captured in the photo.
The bride held a beautiful bouquet of soft blue and pastel pink hydrangeas near her waist, while the handsome groom with skin the color of coffee stood close behind her, holding her in a loving embrace, kissing her forehead.
Michelle sipped her favorite green tea as she sat and worked at Marie's Mocha Café and sighed. The forehead kiss. So romantic. Meant he loved her brains, not just her beauty.
The bride’s olive skin glowed, and her dark brown tresses cascaded down her shoulders and rested at her waist. She peered at the flowers she held in her manicured hands, her golden-brown eyes sparkling, a sweet smile tugging at the corner of her lips. Everything about this picture showed that this couple was in love and happy to say I do, not only on their wedding day, but every day they spent together thereafter.
Ah, love. Something she might never experience.
She bit her bottom lip. Would she ever meet a great guy and be blessed with a real-life happily ever after?
She reached for her cup and took a sip to the calming accompaniment of the smoothie machine.
She tapped her fingers on her computer keyboard and opened Facebook Messenger. Writing messages to her best friend, Juliana Fernandes, who worked as a writer for Bridal Mode Magazine, also soothed her nerves.
Michelle: Hey, girl. What’s up?
Juliana: Michelle, mi amiga, it’s been such a long day! Want to meet me for lunch? I could use a little    
girl talk.
Michelle: Sorry. I’m editing photos, and I’m on deadline.
Juliana: Oh yes, my lovely friend the wedding photographer who’s all work and no play.
Michelle: What do you mean?
Juliana: You never make time for fun.
Michelle: Yeah, I do. I meet up with you, and we go shopping and for coffee.
Juliana: Yes, and I love our time together, but girl, you need to meet a man and go out on a date,   
several dates, with several eligible bachelors. I could find one for you. I meet plenty in my line of  
work.
Michelle: Aren’t most of those men you interview getting married?
Juliana: Oh yeah, that’s right. L But they have brothers, cousins and friends! Amiga, I could totally
hook you up!
Michelle: Lol. Thanks, but no thanks. God is my matchmaker.
Juliana: Yeah? Well, sometimes God uses good friends like me to pull the strings.
Michelle: Sorry to cut this short, but I need to get back to work.
Juliana: And then you do that.
Michelle: Do what?
Juliana: When I get too close to the truth, you end the conversation.
Michelle: Jules, you’re taking this way too personal.

Please tell us five random things we might not know about you.
#1: I love Talenti Gelato that’s available in American grocery stores but nothing tastes better than authentic gelato that’s only made fresh and tastes the best in the actual country of Italy!
#2: When I went to Italy with friends, we got lost and ended up in front of a bridal shop where I instantly fell in love with the beautiful wedding dress on display in the shop’s window!
#3: The song “Christmas Day” by Mandisa and Michael W. Smith has a special meaning for me because it reminds me of a special someone and Christmastime in the city!
#4: Fresh spinach leaves cooked to perfection and properly seasoned is my favorite healthy food!
#5: Wish-Bone® Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing and homemade honey-lemon dressing are my top two favorites in the world!

Why did you choose to write this book?
I chose to write this book because I love wedding photography, good food, Journalism and Italy! So I thought that it would be a wonderful idea to write about those passions in a story. I’m also passionate about the issues that set the heart of the heroine in this story (Michelle) on fire: celebrating diversity, seeking justice, keeping hope alive, sharing kindness, and capturing people’s love for each other in pictures. Like Logan (the hero), I have dreams of being a broadcast journalist on television and radio, so it was fun to explore that more in this story.

What one thing about writing do you wish non-writers would understand? 
Everyone can learn how to write but not everybody is a professional writer. It can be a tough but very rewarding profession. However, it’s not for the faint of heart! It takes discipline and perseverance past rejection. But if God’s called you to it, He’ll help you through it!

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?
The toughest test that I’ve faced as a writer is trying to write full-length novels that have a minimum word count of 70K words. My stories so far, stop around the 45K mark and I haven’t yet figured out how to stretch the story to novel-length without making it messy.
Writing a full-length novel is not a walk in the park! It takes time, perseverance, creativity and a lot of planning and it doesn’t come easy to all authors. My specialty thus far is writing novellas. I know that my readers want me to write full-length novels and turn my standalone stories into series but at this point in my career, it’s too overwhelming of a task to take on. Hopefully, I’ll be able to do this for my readers in the future but first I have to get over my tendency to write “precise and concise” (I’m a trained print journalist)! Lol.

What do you hope readers to take away from your novel?
I hope that readers learn how important it is to treat everyone with kindness and judge people by the content of their character, NOT their skin color. I also hope that my readers are inspired to never give up on dreaming about, being blessed with and keeping true love.

What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of, writing-related or not?
The accomplishments that I am most proud of include but are not limited to:
#1: Knowing Jesus Christ as my Savior and Truest Friend
#2: Earning my B.A. in Print Journalism and my MFA in Creative Writing
#3: Working as the Morning Show Intern for WGTS 91.9 FM
#4: Writing and publishing three books!
#5: Writing the devotionals that God places on my heart to help people.

What do you do for fun when not writing?
I love eating good food at restaurants with loved ones and I enjoy watching movies on the Hallmark Channel.

What are you working on now? 
My first standalone nonfiction book project. But I cannot share details about it yet.

Where else can readers find you online? 
Website: https://alexisagoring.jimdo.com
“God is Love” blog: http://capturingtheidea.blogspot.com

Bio: Alexis A. Goring is a passionate writer with a degree in Print Journalism and an MFA in Creative Writing. She loves the art of storytelling and hopes that her stories will connect readers with the enduring, forever love of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...