Monday, August 15, 2011

Roger Bruner's "Lost in Dreams"

Title: Lost in Dreams
Publisher: Barbour Publishing

Cover blurb: Grace, hope, and healing intersect in the California mountains.
From the moment eighteen-year-old Kim Hartlinger steps off the plane from a mission trip to a remote Mexican village, her journey takes a turn for the worse. As she collides with the biggest challenge of her young life—and faith—Kim struggles with haunting questions and recurring nightmares. . .all the while trying to hide a deep, dark secret.
Will Kim find the hope and healing she needs? . . . Or is her broken spirit beyond repair?

1) How did this story come to you?
When I was writing the first book in this series, Found in Translation, I arrived at a good stopping point long before I’d finished the story I’d meant to write. So I could easily refer to Lost in Dreams as Found in Translation, Part Two. I had entitled it Prancing on Pebbles to signify the way God can lead us to a joyous victory through a series of terrible events. (My publisher didn’t think that title would resonate well with teens.) The Altered Hearts series has a mission theme. Since I’d done some prison ministry years ago, that gave me the needed mission idea. Kim’s fatigue problem came from my daughter’s similar problem during middle school, although hers had nothing to do with what caused Kim’s.

2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
That journey actually begins with Kimberly Shumate, who worked at Harvest House at the time and loved my writing, even though it didn’t fit into Harvest House needs. When she read Found in Translation, she knew it needed to be published. So she obtained Mr. Terry Burns for me as an agent.

In spite of his strong belief in Found, Terry needed about a year to sell it to Barbour. My acquisitions editor there wanted my ideas for other books in a series. Because I had one chapter of Lost in Dreams written and a clear idea of where it was going, Barbour contracted it at the same time.

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
• I started my novel writing career with adult fiction and have three or four unsold manuscripts that fall into such varied genres as contemporary women’s fiction and speculative.
• I’ve been playing guitar since 1963 and have written several hundred Christian songs (you can listen to some of them at RogerBruner.com/ReadListen.shtml). I’ve shared them on mission trips to Wales, Romania, England, and Australia; in prisons, migrant camps, and nursing homes; and anywhere else I could get people to listen.
• I have quite a collection of Beanie Babies (the corner cabinet in the living room is full of them) going back to the time they were so popular. I prefer the cat ones since we have two cats.

4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I’m working on book three in the Altered Hearts series in the hopes Barbour will contract it. But I’m also working on a YA novel I hope will appeal to teen guys. Misfits is about a couple of misfit preacher’s kids who start such a rocking nonconformist movement that the in crowd is begging to join. Since I’m a preacher’s kid, that’s a fun one to work on.

5) Parting comments?
The fact that writers are largely responsible for their own marketing is an unfortunate reality of today’s publishing world, and making oneself known is a daunting task for the newly published author. I really appreciate this opportunity to greet the readers of your blog and to thank them for their interest. I hope you’ll come visit me at my website.

6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
http://www.rogerbruner.com/; Facebook.com/roger.bruner





13 comments:

  1. Great interview with Roger! He is a new author to me and his book, Lost in Dreams sounds like a good read. I'd love to win a copy.

    Blessings,
    judyjohn2004[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost in Dreams sounds like a really good book I'm very interested to read. Great interview, this is a new author for me and I'm sure will be following him . Thanks for the chance.
    Heidi
    hshaferwilson3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how his stories revolve around missions!
    His character; Kim, sounds very intense and I would enjoy reading her story...
    Thanks very much!
    Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another new author to me. I always enjoy finding new authors and checking out their books.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read. I love spiritual journeys and how faith comes to us !!
    djkrueger@wildblue.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roger is such a fun guy. I'd love to read his newest novel. My e-mail address is shartmann5@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't recall reading any books set in Mexico, so that's a huge bonus. Sounds great.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would also love to read Roger's book & will check out his Christian music. Please add me to the free book drawing, Thank you! Daisy Adams (daisyflower.adams@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. would love to read this novel...thanks for the chance :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a follower and a subscriber via gfc. I posted this to my blog: http://dancealertreads.blogspot.com/2011/08/k-dawn-byrd-author-register-to-win_7009.html

    Brenda from Michigan
    dancealert at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roger is a new author to me so I would like the chance to read some of his work. Please enter me in your wonderful giveaway.

    countrysunset40 (at) aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks to be a great read. I'm sure I would enjoy it, as well as my daughters. Though Roger is a new author for me, I'll be looking for more of his books.
    Blessings,
    Kelly Y. in Virginia
    kelly*at*dkcountryarts*dot*com

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...