Monday, June 27, 2011
Title: Starsongs Magazine
Publisher: Written World Communications
Cover blurb: Although Written World Communications is a Christian publisher, Starsongs Magazine is a general market quarterly magazine for kids by kids ages 9-19. Starsongs accepts original short stories, poetry, essays, articles, photography and art work by young people in the above mentioned age group. Each issue of Starsongs contains a mentoring article about writing or photography by an adult writer. We also feature an interview with an extraordinary young person. These interviews to date include author Kayla Woodhouse, Olympic skater Rachael Flatt, manager and first violinist for the New World String Quartet Rebecca Phillips, and mulit-published teen author Riley Carney.
1) How did the idea for this magazine come to you? This magazine came into existence to inspire young people to express their creative talent through original writing, photography, and artwork. Our tag line is “voices of the future” and our goal is to inspire youth.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting the magazine in circulation.
The first issue of Starsongs became available in September of 2010. Starsongs staff is proud to have published over thirty young writers and photographers, many for the first time. Our publication is available in downloadable and print format. We will be celebrating our one year anniversary with our next issue, due to release in late August, so watch for some neat contests!
3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
1) I have a son and daughter-in-law who live in the United Kingdom
2) I have an awesome granddaughter who was nominated for the softball all-star team
3) Even though I live in Colorado, I was born and raised in New York (not New York City!)
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
Lots! Starsongs will be launching a book imprint, general market YA books, for which we are currently soliciting manuscripts. As Vice President of Written World Communications, I also supervise our other two children’s publications, each of which have their own book imprints, which we plan to launch within the next few months. Untapped is a Christian YA magazine and book imprint. Patchwork is a Christian children’s magazine and book imprint.
5) Parting comments?
If you are or know a young person who likes to write, please get in touch with me. I am always looking for submissions and I love to work with and mentor young writers. Always be open to God’s plan for your writing life. My original goal was to write westerns! Even though that dream still lingers in the back of my mind, publishing young people brings me much more satisfaction than seeing my own book in print (if that ever happens) probably would.
6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
Starsongs is available at www.magcloud.com/browse/magazine/113497. Our Written World Communications web site is under construction but we can be reached at http://www.written-world.com/. Send Starsongs submissions to Patti Shene at firstname.lastname@example.org.