Monday, April 19, 2010

Vickie McDonough's "The Anonymous Bride"


"The Anonymous Bride" by Vickie McDonough

We're happy to have Vickie McDonough with us today talking about her new book, The Anonymous Bride. To learn more about Vickie and The Anonymous Bride, read on!

Your title: The Anonymous Bride
1) How did this story come to you?

It first started as a “what if” question. What if a mail-order bride showed up in town, expecting to marry the local marshal, but what if he didn’t order a bride? Then my thoughts morphed a bit. What if three mail-order brides showed up to marry the poor, unsuspecting guy? How could something like that happen? And if it did, what would happen to the women since only one could marry him? Then I thought, what if the town held a contest to see with gal would make him the best wife?

2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
I’ve been writing novellas and Heartsong novels for Barbour Publishing for six yeas, so it was a natural progression to move into their longer fiction line. My editor mentioned it to me, so I worked up several proposals, and the Texas Boardinghouse Brides series is the one they bought.

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
1. When I was fourteen, I bought a motorcycle.
2. Shortly after I was married, my husband and I went with a group of young people to live on a kibbutz in Israel for a year.
3. I have always loved horses, and when I was twelve, I talked my parents into buying me one, even though we lived in the city.

4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I’m currently writing a historical set in 1788 in the Charleston area. It’s called Mutiny of the Heart, and it’s the first book in a series set in South Carolina. After that, I’ll finish the third book in my Texas Boardinghouse Brides series.

5) Parting comments?
I never once thought about writing a book. Then stories started running through my mind like I was watching a movie. I decided to write them down to get them out of my head, and after writing my second book, I finally realized God was trying to get my attention. It still boggles my mind that I’ve written multiple books and even won awards for some of them. I want to encourage y’all to open your hearts and minds to God and let Him do something wonderful in your life. His dreams for you are far bigger than you can imagine.

6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
My website is: www.vickiemcdonough.com
I’m also a regular contributor to the Bustles and Spurs blog:
www.bustlesandspurs.com

22 comments:

  1. Her premise interests me. Please sign me up. rmjagears AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole premise of her book!
    Please count me in.....Thanks, Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Vickie's books, never found one that I didn't like please enter me

    mamat2730(at)cahrter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story! Would love to win the book!!
    djbt(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a interesting story line this is. I really would love to read this book. Please enter me.

    Blessings,
    Jo
    ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always enjoyed Vickie's novellas and am glad she is now writing longer fiction. I wish Barbour would make it available for Kindle readers, but maybe I'll win a copy here! Thank you for the interview (those three things about yourself were very interesting), and I appreciate the giveaway.

    cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds great and humorous! Enter me please in the drawing!

    walkinfaith4him(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vickie is a good friend and a great writer! I'm looking forward to reading this book!

    Okay, Vickie, I'd never have pegged you for a "Motorcycle Mama." Do you ever still wish you had one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so great

    aimymichelle[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to win a copy!

    Living on a kibbutz in Israel with a group of people sounds interesting - any chance you would write about those experiences?

    Thanks for taking the time to be interviewed & best of luck with your work in progress & future works.

    Beverly

    bgrider2@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a very interesting idea; I think that the lack of swift communication could set up the situation very easily.
    Kaye Whitney
    kayewhitney@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, guys! Blogger is acting up tonight. Vickie's sends her regrets that her posts aren't coming through. She e-mailed them to me to send. Here ya go...

    Good luck, everyone, in the drawing for TAB, and thanks for your kind words about my book!

    Carole, so far TAB is not available on Kindle. Barbour hasn't told me if than plan to list it at all.

    Myra, I do sometimes wish I could ride a motorcycle. It was a lot of fun, but I'd never get on one now unless I lost a lot of weight. Let's just say it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

    Kameko, I've thought about writing about life on a kibbutz, but so many things have changed in Israel since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please enter me! This book sounds really good, and I've heard great things.

    I'm a subscriber.

    booklovercb[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this book sounds like a lot of fun. I love how it "morphed" into what you have today. good luck!

    Diane

    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great read.
    csdsksds[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  16. would love to read this book...thanks for the chance :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. *Not an entry*

    This is one of my favorite books this year!!

    http://www.creativemadnessmama.com/2010/04/the-anonymous-bride-by-vickie-mcdonough/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love historical fiction...really want to read this one!
    Thank you!
    Maureen
    alekee02@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the cover of this book...and would like to be added to the list for your giveaway of it.
    Thank you! I really enjoy books like these.

    Blessings,
    Sandee61

    Muzzley56[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please enter me in the contest. sooze1008@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I drew Beverly's name as the winner of The Anonymous Bride.

    Thanks for letting me visit here. If you didn't win and would like a copy of The Anonymous Bride, it's available online at Amazon or Christianbook.com

    The sequel, Second Chance Brides, releases in September!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Then stories started running through my mind like I was watching a movie. I decided to write them down to get them out of my head, and after writing my second book, I finally realized God was trying to get my attention. Anonymous News

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...