Monday, November 22, 2010

Shawna Williams "In All Things"

We're happy to have Shawna Williams with us today talking about her new book, In All Things.To learn more about Shawna and her book, read on!

Your title: The title of my new book is In All Things. It's the sequel to No Other, my debut novel that was released in May.

Publisher: Desert Breeze Publishing is the book's publisher.

Cover blurb: Jakob and Meri's story continues...
     Meredith Louis's Hollywood career is at a point of transition. No longer under Majestic Studios' control, Meri is free to broaden her appeal as an actress and finally earn the recognition she desires.
     Meri and Jakob return to their hometown for the holidays where Meri hopes to reconcile with her parents after a decade of silence. But after a disastrous encounter, Meri is plunged into turmoil as old fears resurface in unexpected ways.
     Jakob, already dealing with unresolved family issues of his own, is further burdened by his inability to help his wife. Can he learn to step aside and trust God's plan.Will Meri recognize what she already has?
     In All Things is a story of faith and restoration, cemented in the belief, "...that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

1) How did this story come to you?
This story was inspired by the same dream that inspired No Other. Originally I had written both stories as one book, but a lot of changes were made since the original version – especially to In All Things. There is a nasty character in the story who represents who Meri could become, and in the original this person is who she actually did become. The published version is much better than the original.

2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
When I submitted No Other to Desert Breeze Publishing I mentioned that there was a sequel and DB was immediately interested. At that point all I had was the original version and an outline for turning the second part into a book of its own. I thought it wouldn't be difficult, but during the course of writing many new things crept in – things that deepened the story and broadened the theme. I also had grown to like Meri so much while rewriting No Other that I couldn't assign the fate from the original book to her. This book was a difficult write and I had a ton of freak out moments, but several months before its due date things started falling into place, and I love the way it turned out.

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
I'm boring, but I'll give this a try.
1) For my next birthday I want to go spelunking. Not cave exploring with a flashlight, but the whole underground with a light on my head kind of exploration.
2) I built the pantry in my kitchen, and I did a pretty darn good job.
3) I pick the marshmellows out of Lucky Charms, eat them, and feed the cereal part to my dog (in moderation).

4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
Right now I'm trying to consider priorities. I've released three books in seven months, so I want to replenish a bit. Promotion is fun but also draining. I'm working on a possible spinoff story for a character in No Other and In All Things. I don't have a lot, just a rough synopsis and about 1,000 words in a first chapter, so I haven't pitched it to the publisher yet. I'd also like to try and get something ready to pitch at the ACFW conference. I have several story ideas and would love to have a completed manuscript by next September. I'm not sure which of these ideas will take priority. I'd love to have them both accomplished by next fall, but family has to come first.

5) Parting comments?
This is a message to aspiring writers that I've been saying a lot in my blog interviews during the promotion of In All Things, but I'll say it again. We've all heard that we should write what we know, and this is true, but I think it's equally important for an author to write who they are, from the heart. Readers can gauge the sincerity of a story – if it came from deep within. Don't be afraid to share yourself. It's the reason God called you to such a task.

6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
http://shawnakwilliams.com/
http://shawnawilliams-oldsmobile.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/shawnakwilliams
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1059888544#!/pages/Shawna-K-Williams/236629884245

20 comments:

  1. As always, it's wonderful to have you here, Shawna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win the book, I follow on face book and read this


    mamat2730(at)charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful read. I will look for it in the bookstore! Good luck, Shawna!
    Linda Cacaci
    LinCaca3@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your series has an interesting storyline combining a Hollywood career with the backdrop of family issues!

    Jeanette
    jwhill120@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes...I'm behind. No Other is still on my TBR list and now the sequel is out! It looks great and I look forward now to reading both.

    Thanks for doing the interview. By the way Lucky Charms are completely banned in our house. Our oldest son had his first seizure while he was eating them. I do realize they had nothing to do with it but... So, enjoy for all of us!

    Brandi
    vi2005@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your parting words! Wow you are working on a lot of books in a short period of time. I feel the momentum to work on 10 projects, mostly rewrites and started a project for future Saga Spin-off series by the end of this year.

    Adrienna
    adriennaturner@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your book and the one before at really great ,and books that I would like to add to my library. email: mrhpets@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am eager to continue to finish Jacob and Meri's stories....thank you for hosting the interview!
    martha(at)lclink(dot)com
    I am a subscriber to your blog already....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to win this book! I love reading and since my husband lost his job 11 months ago buying books has been one of the things we've had to cut back on! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only is writing from the heart best but living from the heart too. I am hoping that Meri in the book finally gets reconcilation with her parents.

    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to read this one! Thanks for the chance.

    freda.mans[at]sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for this great participation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not read your books but Im going to now. After many years of my family not talking to me, my mother and I just started again. Its been a long road and Im sure it will seem even longer at times but Im willing to keep going. I would love to see how your characters handle it.
    Thanks
    Heidi
    heidijohnjeff@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thoroughly enjoyed NO OTHER about the romance of Jacob and Meri and am looking forward to IN ALL THINGS.
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    rbooth43(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the interview.
    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Shawna,
    You are doing awesome with your published books. That's exciting you're going to the ACFW conference in September. Good luck with the new manuscript. I know it'll be wonderful, too, like your other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to read your books inspired by dreams. I also like to review books for Amazon postings. Enter me in the drawing for the free book and bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what an amazing purpose-driven novel I would love to win. I do realize I would need to read the prequel first.

    Thanks,
    Lmaria23@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview. I'll definitely put this one (and the prequel) on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...