Thursday, August 22, 2019

Interview with Maria T. Henriksen & spotlight of Not Again...




We're happy to have Maria T. Henriksen with us today talking about her book Not Again. To learn more about Maria and Not Again, read on!

Book description/blurb:
Christina De Rosa holds a potentially deadly secret that threatens to get out. As an innocent young teenager, Christina survives a terrifying detailed sexual assault that destroys her self-worth and trust. 

In her daily struggle, Christina searches for ways to keep her torment at bay, so she can function as a "normal" teenager. Meanwhile, Christina's spiritual journey leads her down a path causing conflict within, as she's riddled with guilt and shame. 

A chance encounter with her longtime, hot crush, Avery Evans, sparks a fire in Christina that she can't  extinguish. As the sweet, loving, knight in shining armor he readily portrays, Avery offers the safety and security that Christina craves.

In her quest for internal peace, Christina must make a decision. Will she give her heart, body and soul to the super popular, Avery Evans? 

Will Christina's nightmares become all-consuming or will her discoveries lead her to a renewed way of life?

Find out if true love triumphs in this edgy, faith-based young adult page-tuner, set in the 1980s.

*Not Again is NOT your typical Christian coming of age story. Fierce faith doesn't come without a fight. Prepare for heartache, self-harm, traumatic events, real romance, and actual scripture in these pages. 

Tell us a little about yourself:
Hi, I'm a debut author and I am super excited to have recently launched my first novel called Not Again. Not Again is a young adult edgy Christian romance novel that follows the spiritual journey of a young teenage girl during the 1980s. There's real romance, actual scripture and lots of heartache as well as humor. 

I started reading young adult novels when I began to substitute teach because it was convenient to check out books at the school library. Before I knew it, I was hooked on reading that genre. I decided to combine elements that I like to read like romance and make it faith based with a literary flair. As a teacher, I can't resist an opportunity for a teaching lesson as demonstrated by the various themes in the novel.

Being a substitute teacher and parent of boy/girl teenagers causes me to be immersed in the daily struggles of teens. Life is messy and teenagers have their own challenges in navigating life. Not Again speaks to those struggles in a meaningful way.

During the revisions of my novel, I experienced a tremendous amount of physical pain and stress, including neck surgery. As a result, I found it necessary to employ coping mechanisms to get me through that difficult season of my life. In turn, I incorporated those same techniques in my novel. My hope is that my book will transform lives by it's inspirational message, and not just the lives of teens, but adults as well.

Tell us five things about yourself that many people don't know:
I placed 3rd in my age group for a 10K after only running for less than a year. 
I spent 1.5 years in physical therapy the past 2 years nursing multiple injuries.
I aspire to run a half marathon.
I took the photos, video and wrote the song for the book trailer & cover. 
I want to become an inspirational speaker.

Tell us about your journey to publication:
The most challenging aspect of publishing  novel was the actual publishing portion of it. The writing and revising was the easy fun part. Trying to figure out what avenue to publish and how to go about executing my plan was excruciating. 

Technical issues were abound. It seemed as if every fluky issue that could be experienced, I experienced it. There were epic fails all over the place. I had to buy a brand new computer, a brand new phone, a brand new tripod to broadcast live and I'm still having issues, not the same ones, different ones. 

You have to be a jack of all trades to self-publish and promote yourself. It's grueling and frustrating. There are many obstacles to overcome. Is it worth it? I honestly don't think I will know the full impact of my novel, but it was written out of obedience to Christ.

I have a message, a ministry. The book was inspired by God as I never knew what was coming next. Not Again was written with many themes that I hope my readers will take to heart.

When I'm not writing, you can find me jogging, reading or listening to live music music performed by talented 
friends.

Links:






5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this interview. The book sounds like a very good read especially for parents and for teens, a lot of them have a lot going on. To me I think the hardest years of growing up for a child is 6th grade on up, especially Middle school. Thank you for listening to God Maria because a lot of kids think that some problems have no solutions, we just need to have these kids listen or read to know that there Is a Solution to whatever problem they are facing. God Bless you for writing this book. Best Wishes for you in your writing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Licha, Thank you so much for your feedback. Writing Not Again was a pleasure to write and I pray every day that someone's life will be transformed in a powerful way from reading my novel.

      Delete
  2. Nicole, I appreciate your encouragement! Should you know of anyone who could benefit from reading Not Again, please encourage them to do so. Let's keep the lines of communication open. I'm here to help in any I can.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...