Deadly Ties. To learn more about Vicki and her book, read on!
Title: Deadly Ties
Cover Blurb: Her enemy will stop at nothing for control…and everything is not enough
A horrific crime shatters Lisa Harper’s idyllic childhood. Her father is dead and her desperate mother, Annie, quickly marries Dutch Hauk, an abusive monster who soon reveals his hatred for Lisa. To protect her, Annie defies her ruthless husband and forfeits custody to a trusted friend. Enraged, Dutch vows to keep Annie and Lisa apart—and he does. Years later, though keenly aware of Dutch’s evil intent, Lisa and her mother seize a chance to be a family, safe in a home where love dwells. But they fail to fathom how far Dutch will go to keep his vow.
Determined to control his women, Dutch proves resourceful. His associates in crime are feared at the highest levels across the globe—and for Lisa they plan a fate worse than death. Yet she too has formidable connections: ones like former Special Operations officer Mark Taylor. Burdened by his own traumatic past, Mark has loved Lisa from afar. Now, for Lisa and her mother to survive, Mark must risk his life—and even more difficult for him, he must trust God—as one question haunts them all: Can Mark and Lisa untangle these deadly ties before it’s too late?
1. How did this story come to you?
I’ve been studying human trafficking for some time. Actually, the impact of it on the people abducted. I ran across a twist on it that was new to me and then discovered that it was more common than first believed, and I wanted to write about it to raise awareness. I wanted to write the story of faith getting people through even the most difficult of circumstances when those victims adopt the attitude of not letting an incident in their past rob them of their present and future. You know what I mean. We’ve all known people who had something bad happen and they got stuck on it, unable to let it go, unable to move beyond it. I wanted to write about a woman who was vulnerable and as average and normal as the rest of us who summoned the courage to reclaim her life.
2. Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
It was hard to write, but my editor immediately grasped what I was trying to accomplish in writing it and shared the vision. That’s such a blessing when it happens, and watching Lisa and Mark confront their fears and challenges and overcome them… well, it was moving. Very moving.
3. Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
This is a hard question. I feel as if I reveal the deepest parts of me in my books, so I’m reading this wondering what’s left? Smiling here. Okay, I’ll try:
1. I hate mirrors. I had to have a series of eye surgeries that totally changed the way I look. So when I see me in a mirror, I see a stranger’s face.
2. I can’t yell. So to signal my family I was unhappy, I used to dye my hair red. The more upset I was, the darker the red. It got to the point where I just had to buy a box of red hair dye and sit it on the kitchen counter. They’d all toe the line to keep me from going red. Redheads tolerate no guff.
3. When something truly wonderful happens that I want to celebrate, I go to Baskin & Robbins and get two scoops of chocolate ice-cream in a waffle cone. That’s the only time I eat it, and it’s saved for the seriously wonderful events. Forget glamorous stuff, and fine dining with roses and all that. This is my special and truly meaningful celebration. It started with my mom and me, celebrating the sale of my first book. My daughter and I continue it.
4. What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I’m working on the next Crossroads Crisis Center book—Beth and Joe’s story, Not This Time. The opening scene scared me right out of my socks. That’s an excellent sign.
5. Parting comments?
What a privilege it is to visit with you here. Thanks so much for your interest and the support you’ve shown for the series with FORGET ME NOT. These books mean a great deal to me, and I appreciate it that you’ve embraced them.
6. Where can fans find you on the internet?
My website is at http://www.vickihinze.com/. And I’m on Facebook, Twitter and Shoutlife. I visit often and really enjoy chatting, so I hope you’ll drop by.
We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...
We're happy to have Bonnie Leon with us today talking about her book, Touching the Clouds . To learn more about Bonnie and her book, r...
Title: Mercy Come Morning (previously released as Christmas Every Morning) Publisher: WaterBrook Cover blurb: Krista Mueller is in a g...
We're happy to have Sandra D. Bricker with us today. Click on the photo to the left to visit the author's website. Read on to lea...