Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tracy Krauss' "And the Beat Goes On"


We're happy to have Tracy Krauss with us today talking about her book, And the Beat Goes On. To learn more about Tracy and her book, read on!

1) How did this story come to you?
This book is actually the sequel to another novel called Play It Again. In this first book, Mark Graham is an eleven year old child who is interested in fossils and arrowheads and is the son of the main characters, one of whom is involved in the music industry. (In case you’re wondering, this first book is still under consideration with Steeple Hill and is not yet in print!) When I began writing And The Beat Goes On – which is essentially an archeological suspense – Mark seemed like the perfect character to use, only all grown up. It seemed logical to continue with the ‘musical theme’ for the title, since it is a continuation from the first story to some degree, although it definitely stands alone as well. Also, there are subtle references to tribal drumming, the rhythmic continuity of life as it connects to the past, etc. etc. which made the title make sense. (And, no, it has nothing to do with Sonny and Cher!)

2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
Wow. Actually, I have been writing for about twenty five years, now. About six or seven years ago I decided it was time I submitted something for publication, but having little time, few resources, no contacts, and absolutely no knowledge of the publishing industry, I pretty much blundered along for the first several years. (I naively thought it would be easy since my writing was so fabulous and my ideas so unique!) What a wake up call! Two years ago, after many gut wrenching critiques, revisions, research and plain hard work, I sent out a blitz of submissions. In October of 2008 I finally landed a contract. Little did I know that the real work of publicity was still ahead!

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
Hm. I’ve moved more than thirty times in my life, so I’m an expert packer! (I’ve been less than an inch from a real live polar bear with only the window in my car separating us – this was in the wild, not in a zoo!)
I have more than one piercing (not talking about ears here!), like to hang out with artsy theater types, and still manage to maintain my integrity as a Pastor’s wife and Christian. (It’s time we threw away our stereotypes, folks!)
I was an original Trekkie back in the day and was in love with Leonard Nimoy.
4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
My next novel called My Mother The Man Eater is currently in production and will hopefully be ready for release before Christmas. I’ve got two others under review with various publishers/agents. I am also in the process of seeking publication for the many plays I’ve written and directed over the years as a Drama teacher and director. I’m also working on an illustrated children’s book. (I’m a visual artist as well and also teach Secondary School Art) Finally, I’ve got three other manuscripts in various stages. That enough?

5) Parting comments?
Thanks for this opportunity. I’m glad to be a part of such a vibrant community of writers who support one another.
6) Where can fans find you on the internet?
I currently maintain two blogs:
http://www.tracykraussexpressionexpress.blogspot.com/
http://www.krauss.aegauthorblogs.com/
I also frequent lots of social networking sites and authors groups, so hopefully we’ll connect somewhere along the way!

4 comments:

  1. I am very interested in archeology and would love to win your book. Please enter me in your drawing.
    Kaye Whitney
    kayewhitney@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, Well I hope you gewt a chance to publish the first book also. Both of them sound really good. But I would love to read this one and hope you get the other published so I can read that one later.
    Great post
    heidijohnjeffATverizonDOTnet

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the chance to read this novel :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the suspense genre and the archeological aspect adds even more interest for me...
    Many thanks, Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete

Interview with Barbara M. Britton and spotlight of Lioness...

We're happy to have Barbara M. Britton with us talking about her book Lioness . To learn more about her and Lioness, please read o...