Monday, May 25, 2015

Jo Huddleston shares a devotion and has a free E prayer book for everyone!




DEVOTION

I Need to Hold You

by Jo Huddleston

When my grandchildren began to string words into sentences, they sometimes twisted their intended messages. This resulted in scrambled meanings between what they thought and what they actually said.
The most captivating of their confused statements came when they were in need of comfort or simply wanted companionship. They would entreat me with outstretched arms and pleading eyes, saying, “I need to hold you.” I welcomed this opportunity to draw them close, to kiss scraped knees or elbows, to give words of encouragement and love.
My grandchildren meant something other than what they actually said. But they had learned that when they voiced the words, “I need to hold you,” someone would hold them. That was their goal. What they really thought, but could not verbalize, was, “Hold me, please. I need for you to make it better.”
I recognize myself in their behavior. When my daddy died, I was left spiritually puzzled. Instead of dealing with my loss, I locked my sorrow and anger inside, choosing to battle the pain alone. Friends and relatives offered support, but I wouldn’t embrace their attempts to cheer me. Months later I still could not get through a workday or sit through a Sunday morning church service without unwilling tears streaming down my face.
Then I reached out to God. I spilled out my sorrow, together with my pent-up anger, unloading the entire bundle onto God. He opened his loving arms to me and I moved toward him, feeling the balm of his perfect love blanket my grief.
Like my grandchildren, I needed to share my hurts with someone who would give me unconditional love. My grandchildren trusted that I would help erase their troubles.
I can take my burdens to God and tell him, “I need to hold you.” Then, in the same way that I gathered my grandchildren into my arms, God sustains me, giving hope and consolation.
Have you experienced the unconditional love God offers? Read his words in the Bible and talk with him in prayer. Let God help you carry your burdens. “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” –Psalm 55:22, NIV

AUTHOR BIO – Jo Huddleston:
Jo Huddleston is a multi-published author of books, articles, and short stories. Her debut novels in the Caney Creek Series and her latest book, Wait for Me are sweet Southern historical romances. She is a member of ACFW. Jo lives in the U.S. Southeast with her husband, near their two grown children and four grandchildren. Visit Jo at www.johuddleston.com.

You can find Jo at:


You can purchase Wait for Me at: http://tiny.cc/xndfwx

Book Description for Wait for Me:
 Can Julie, an only child raised with privilege and groomed for high society, and Robby, a coal miner’s son, escape the binds of their socioeconomic backgrounds? Set in a coal mining community in West Virginia in the 1950s, can their love survive their cultural boundaries?

This is a tragically beautiful love story of a simple yet deep love between two soul mates, Robby and Julie. The American South’s rigid caste system and her mother demand that Julie chooses to marry an ambitious young man from a prominent and suitable family. Julie counters her mother’s stringent social rules with deception and secrets in order to keep Robby in her life. Can the couple break the shackles of polite society and spend their lives together? Will Julie’s mother ever accept Robby?

Bonus from Jo:
I have a permaFREE eBook copy of my book, Amen and Good Morning, God: A Book of Morning Prayers always free and available at:
Kindle eBook copy: http://tiny.cc/xjwavx
Other eBook formats: http://tiny.cc/7qwavx

5 comments:

  1. K Dawn, thanks for having me visit with your readers and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite strange saying from my sons was that we were "kaftering" them ("looking after" being too long a phrase, I guess), followed by the faith that God is kaftering us all. Wait for Me sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. And thank you for the free prayer book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelia, you're so welcome. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How kind of you Jo to offer the free eBook and prayer book on your web sites! You are truly blessing lives with your Christian literature! I would very much like to read your fascinating sounding novel, 'Wait for Me', set in Western VA...my all time favorite drive is along the Skyline Drive, that I traveled many many times when I lived up north, once a deer ate from my hand, the deer were in abundance and easily seen up on the mountain when I lived up north, hopefully they still are. And, I have family in Central West Va, beautiful country! God bless you and your writing career!
    Phyllis Adams
    phyllisadams.seashells@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, thanks for mentioning your travels. Glad you stopped by and left your comment.

      Delete