Monday, August 11, 2014

Mary Hamilton's "Speak No Evil"


Speak No Evil published by HopeSpringsBooks/Chalfont House

Cover Blurb: Having his younger sister at camp was a pain, but Taylor Dixon never expected the pain to go so deep.
At 15, Taylor dreams of getting his driver’s license and driving racecars when he’s older. Only his younger sister, Marissa, believes in his dreams, but her adventurous spirit keeps landing him in trouble. Dad won’t let Taylor get his license unless he stays out of trouble, and predicts he’s heading for the same jail cell as his once-favored older brother.
Taylor returns to Rustic Knoll Bible Camp, expecting softball, swimming and sermons. Then he discovers a classic Mustang in the camp’s machine shed, and the owner’s invitation to help restore it fuels his dream of driving race cars. But when Marissa falls for his snobbish cabin mate, the ensuing war of words and pranks escalates until it threatens to destroy both the car and his dreams for the future.
Will Taylor fulfill Dad’s prediction?
Or will the message of the old Mustang’s engine set him free from the prison he built himself?
Here’s a link to the book trailer: http://tinyurl.com/on44xf4

1. How did this story come to you?
Taylor was the bully who annoyed everyone in Book 1, Hear No Evil. I received several comments from readers that he was very appropriate to the times, so I decided to make him the star of the Speak No Evil. Making him likeable was a challenge, but the climax came to me early one morning while I was jogging. It unfolded in my mind as if I were watching a movie. So I knew where I needed to go with him.

2. Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.

I give my agent, Terry Burns, credit for this. He always suggests that if we have any ideas for a series, we should include a brief paragraph describing each successive book when we submit proposals. I received a contract for the first book, and a few days later, my editor sent me contracts for the two extra books I’d proposed for the series. As a new author, I never expected that, but Terry’s wisdom proved valuable.

3. Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
    1. When my kids were little, I’d buy gourmet chocolate chunk cookies and hide them in the freezer to enjoy when the kids were napping.
    2. I own a picture of Alan Alda (of television’s MASH fame) personally autographed to me.
    3. My name was supposed to be Mark Robert. My mother was so sure I’d be a boy that she didn’t bother picking a girl’s name…until after I was born.

4.What are you working on now and what’s next for you?

I’m working on See No Evil, the third book in the Rustic Knoll Bible Camp series. See No Evil will feature Steven, the blind camper from the first two stories. It’s due out next May.

5. Parting comments?
Although the book is aimed at 10-15 yr. olds, I’m finding a lot of adults are enjoying the series because it brings back memories of their own summer camp experiences. If you’re looking for a quick, fun read, I’d encourage you to try one of the Rustic Knoll Bible Camp books. Since each one focuses on a different character, they don’t need to be read in order.

6. Where can fans find you on the internet?
Website/blog: http://www.maryhamiltonbooks.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maryhamiltonbooks
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/mhamiltonbooks
Twitter:@mhamilton122


 

No comments:

Post a Comment