Monday, May 5, 2014

Susan J. Reinhardt's "The Moses Conspirace"


On The Flip Side
by Susan J. Reinhardt

Ask my friends. I'm not usually a big risk taker. Yet, when I decide to pursue something, I give it my all. Unfortunately, this leads to a lot of trial and error.

For example, when my manuscript - all 55,000 words - was finished, I brought it to a writers conference and showed it to an editor. He sent me packing with instructions: 1) 80,000-100,000 words for fiction. 2) Learn the craft.

Color me embarrassed.

There's a flip side to this story. Rather than discouraging me, the critique propelled me forward. When I learned something at a workshop, through reading blogs/craft books, or from hobnobbing with other writers, I applied the lessons to my work in progress.

In March 2013, my debut novel, The Moses Conspiracy, was published by a small, traditional press. It took eight years (minus a two-year hiatus while caring for my late husband), but it was worth the effort.

Failure and risk taking don't have to be negatives. Instead of sending you running for cover, they can spur you on to the next level. Take that critique and flip it to your advantage.

Writers and Readers: Do critiques discourage or motivate you? Example?


http://www.amazon.com/The-Scent-Fear-Susan-Reinhardt-ebook/dp/B00GTZEYKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392681813&sr=8-1&keywords=the+scent+of+fear+by+susan+j.+reinhardt+kindle

http://www.amazon.com/The-Moses-Conspiracy-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B00BV8ZQ0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392681885&sr=8-1&keywords=the+moses+conspiracy+by+susan+j.+reinhardt+kindle\

Blog:  Christian Writer/Reader Connection    

http://susanjreinhardt.blogspot.com
Facebook Author Page:  https://www.facebook.com/AuthorSusanJReinhardt
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7012233.Susan_J_Reinhardt
Twitter:  @susanjreinhardt
I'm also on Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.


3 comments:

  1. I am not a writer, so am answering your question in general. I think initially critical evaluation has often discouraged me. However, I've found that brainstorming and other techniques help me to find possible solutions to whatever the criticism is addressing. At that point, I am motivated to work toward a better end result.

    Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of The Moses Conspiracy. It sounds like an exciting story.
    may_dayzee(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KayM -

    Thank you for commenting. Brainstorming is another excellent way to take critiques and use them in a positive manner.

    I think as long as comments aren't mean or take the form of a personal attack, they can work to our benefit.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi K. Dawn -

    Thanks for having me on your blog today!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete