Monday, April 14, 2014

Susan Page Davis' "The New England Romance Collection"




Blurb:
The New England Romance Collection contains five complete historical novels set in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, including Susan’s award-winning novel, The Prisoner's Wife: Jack Hunter is about to be hanged for the murder of his neighbor. Jack knows he's innocent, and the unscrupulous constables will seize his land when he's dead. He asks Lucy Hamblin, the only girl he ever loved, to marry him in the jail. Her father broke them up three years ago, but now her father is dead. Will Lucy be willing to grant his last request and become the widow Hunter? Set in Maine, 1720.

How did this story come to you?
I had read about the inheritance laws in colonial Maine (which was then part of Massachusetts) while doing some family history research. The fact that wives could only inherit from their husbands under certain circumstances intrigued me.

Tell us about the journey to getting the book published.
    I outlined The Prisoner’s Wife and sent my proposal in to an editor I had previously worked with. She loved it. When a “hole” opened in her publishing schedule, she asked me for the complete manuscript, and then bought two other Maine historical novels from me. This one was later published with The Castaway’s Bride and The Lumberjack’s Lady in a collection called Maine Brides. Meanwhile, it won both the American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year (now the Carol Award) and the Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest. I’m delighted it’s being republished in this New England collection.
Incidentally, the New England Romance Collection is now on the Evangelical Christian Publishers’ Association’s bestseller list for the second month in a row. If readers are curious as to why only five of the New England states are represented within its covers, I’m sorry to say that the sixth story (one of my New Hampshire books, Return to Love) had to be omitted because of the format’s space constraints. But Return to Love is available as a standalone and also in the White Mountain Brides collection.

Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
I married my brother’s college roommate. I’m a compulsive list maker. I don’t mind mice, but I hate spiders.

What are you working on now, and what’s next for you?
I’m working on a new historical novel set in the West, The Outlaw Takes a Bride, coming out next spring, and a contemporary cozy mystery called Empty Saddle, also releasing in 2015. In the meantime, I’ll have two Christmas novellas releasing from Barbour Publishing in the fall, and a couple of new collections.

Parting comments
I am giving away a copy of the New England Romance Collection. The winner can choose paperback or e-book.
    The featured book can also be purchased at:
Amazon: http://is.gd/qM11Sh
Christian Book: http://is.gd/JSjF7H
Barnes & Noble: http://is.gd/DjWxPH
    
Where can fans find you on the Internet?
My website is at: www.susanpagedavis.com, and you can read more about my work there.
I’m also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/susanpagedavisauthor
And I post on the 23rd of each month on the Christian Fiction Historical Society:
http://christianfictionhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chance to win Susan's book

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to read your book for my mystery book club. I think it would be an enjoyable read.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are going to be very busy with all of your writing. I look forward to catching up with your works.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would enjoy stories about my neighboring New England states...
    -from NY
    cllyrics@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Susan's books in the church library. I would love to win this book to add to our CF section.
    Thanks for the giveaway.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete