Monday, February 24, 2014

Keisha Bass' "Permanent Resident at the Purse Table"



Title: Permanent Resident at the Purse Table
Publisher: Urban Christian

Cover blurb: If you’re size six, you dance. If you’re Ava Alexander, you watch the purses while your girlfriends dance. Each man that passes her by takes a little of her self-esteem. After escaping a mentally abusive relationship, she promises God she will wait on Him to bring her the right man. And she means it—Until Ishmael. When her best friend’s fiancé throws a few compliments her way, she travels down the path of betrayal. Ava’s choice strains her friendship and sends her into a depression. 
Ava receives spiritual guidance from Dr. Glory Moses. Through God’s Word, there is a glimpse of hope for a restored friendship, and a newfound love for the woman she is. In addition, a man she meets at the counseling center offers her a glimpse of what could be if she lines up with God’s will for her life. Will Ava be able to overcome her insecurities and step into the life God plans for her, or will she continue to self-destruct?
1) How did this story come to you? 
This story came to me as I thought about the girl who never gets asked to dance and what that does to her self-esteem. I saw my main character, Ava, sitting at a lake after a break up with someone who was bad for her spiritually, mentally, and emotionally, and how she would try to turn things around on her own. I also thought about what would happen if the wrong person showed an interest in her, like her best friend’s fiancé. Having a poor self-image, can lead you to make bad choices to feel important or noticed. My novel explores this issue and the consequences that follow as a result of those choices.
2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
I attended the Faith and Fiction retreat in Dallas in 2012 by chance, only hearing about it days before from an author friend who was speaking there. I had a five minute pitch to a table of editors and agents, providing each with a portfolio of what they wanted to see. An editor from Urban Christian left with my first four chapters. She contacted me a few months later requesting the entire manuscript. About six months after that, she contacted me with a two-book contract offer. It was definitely God-orchestrated.  

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
- I am a pretty decent rapper.
- I’ve played sports for thirty-three years and currently play in an adult volleyball league.
- I’m a reality TV competition show junky (American Idol, The Voice, So You Think You Can Dance, The X Factor, and Chopped are my favorites).

4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
I am getting ready to have my memoir about overcoming drug addiction while teaching in the public school system professionally edited, as I am looking for an agent to represent that project. Also, I am working on my second women’s fiction novel, and soon will be starting my young adult series.

5) Parting comments? 
Never stop believing in your dreams. It took fifteen years to see my dream come to pass, but I never gave up. I became a better writer, learning as much as I could by attending conferences, critique groups, and seminars. And even though I received a “no” or “not yet” here and there, I never stopped believing, dreaming, and praying for God’s timing and direction.


6) Parting comments? 
Never stop believing in your dreams. It took fifteen years to see my dream come to pass, but I never gave up. I became a better writer, learning as much as I could by attending conferences, critique groups, and seminars. And even though I received a “no” or “not yet” here and there, I never stopped believing, dreaming, and praying for God’s timing and direction.

7) Where can fans find you on the internet?





13 comments:

  1. This will be my third place to try to win this. If I win, I review it. jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving comments on the blogs for me. Good luck to you! Maybe 3rd time will be a charm :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh How I can relate. I'd love to read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I would love to read it.
    rdunson(at)knology(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I appreciate your interest!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the chance to win a copy. I think we can all relate - at some level - to the issues in this story. As a 4-H leader for 20 years, I saw too many young women (most without a father in the home) who traveled similar paths. Heartbreaking. Books like these, that will carry the hope and truth of Christ, need to be in the hands of all those girls. Kudos for writing such a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you! That is my prayer that those who need to read it, will get it in there hands some way. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and good luck. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Such an important topic in todays world. I am thankful to see these issues brought up in what looks like a great read.
    Thank you and Congratulations on your book.
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and I thank you much! Good luck on winning the book!!

      Delete
  6. If you give up you cannot possible succeed. Good for you.

    I love the sound of "Permanent Resident at the Purse Table". I can relate.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I appreciate the support and that's a very important truth.

      Delete
  7. I think your title and concept is genius. Looking fwd to checking out your book.

    ReplyDelete