Monday, February 10, 2014

Becky Lyles "Winds of Freedom"


Title: Winds of Freedom

Cover blurb:
Winter storms blast across the Whispering Pines Guest Ranch, and a cold wind blows through Kate Neilson’s soul. Despite her pain, Kate’s well-being takes a backseat to the needs of loved ones: her best friend, who’s been ensnared by evil; her failing great-aunt, whose dementia care keeps Kate guessing; and Laura and Mike Duncan, whose ranch and livelihood are threatened by a land-grabbing neighbor. 

How did this story come to you?
The idea “seed” for Winds of Freedom, the second book in the Kate Neilson series, was planted when my neighbor told me of a relative who walked into an airport restroom and never came out—as far as her husband and children knew. Although they didn’t see her exit the restroom, she must have snuck past them wearing a disguise, because they later learned she’d slipped away to start a new life. Several weeks after her disappearance, she returned to pick up her clothing and other personal items. She didn’t tell her husband where she was living or what she was doing, only that she no longer had to clean house or take care of children. To add to the mystery, she was wearing a collar around her neck.

Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.
After writing my first novel, Winds of Wyoming, I thought I knew what I was doing, until I received the edits for the second book. I thank God for my amazing editor and honest proofreaders. Without them, both books would have bombed. Then I had the huge decision as to whether to pursue traditional publishing, partner-publishing or self-publishing (now termed by some “author-publishing”).

Eventually, a friend who owns a publishing company convinced me I could publish the book myself. After all, I’d republished my two nonfiction books a couple years earlier—It’s a God Thing! and On a Wing and a Prayer. Still, I had to relearn the process to create print and ebooks and research the new aspects of publishing because the industry evolves so quickly these days. In the midst of all that, we tackled a couple home-remodeling projects and helped our daughter plan her wedding. As you might guess, life was crazy around our house last summer, but good!

Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
  • When I wrote On a Wing and a Prayer for a prison ministry, I interviewed volunteers, inmates and ex-inmates. One interview was conducted in the home of a recently released murderess. She was a sweet lady who fed me a delicious lunch and shared her amazing story of redemption with me.

  • I worked for a state legislature for several years and occasionally rubbed shoulders with well-known individuals, including an Olympic champion and the Smothers Brothers. My hubby, Steve, and I were invited to the Smothers Brothers’ show and also to an on-stage party following the performance. Up close, both men looked really strange with all that makeup plastered on their faces.

  • I make my own sauerkraut and kombucha tea, partly for their probiotic qualities, but mostly because I love their snappy flavors. Steve does not share my taste for sour foods, which means I don’t have to share my K-tea and sauerkraut with him.


  • What are you working on now and what's next for you?
  • At the moment, I’m editing short stories written by my critique group for a compilation I hope to publish soon. Lots of good ones! In addition, I just finished the research for the third book in the Kate Neilson series, Winds of Change. I’m excited to get back with the Whispering Pines gang and once again stir up trouble and trauma on the ranch.


  • Parting comments?
Thanks, K Dawn, for allowing me to visit your site and talk about my passions!

Where can fans find you on the internet?
Facebook: Rebecca Carey Lyles or Becky Carey Lyles
Twitter:  @BeckyLyles

Bio
Rebecca Carey Lyles grew up in Wyoming, the setting for her Kate Neilson novels. She currently lives in Idaho, where she serves as an editor and a mentor for aspiring authors and as a coach for women transitioning from prison to life on “the outside.” Winds of Freedom is the sequel to the award-winning first book in the Kate Neilson series, Winds of Wyoming.

Winds of Freedom
Winter storms blast across the Whispering Pines Guest Ranch, and a cold wind blows through Kate Neilson’s soul. Despite her pain, Kate’s well-being takes a backseat to the needs of loved ones: her best friend, who’s been ensnared by evil; her failing great-aunt, whose dementia care keeps Kate guessing; and Laura and Mike Duncan, whose ranch and livelihood are threatened by a land-grabbing neighbor. 

http://www.amazon.com/Winds-Freedom-Kate-Neilson-Novel-ebook/dp/B00EG7OY3M/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid= 

Facebook: Rebecca Carey Lyles
     or Becky Carey Lyles
Twitter: @BeckyLyles


6 comments:

  1. I would love to win, review and share this book. Sounds interesting.
    jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an intriguing book. Thank you for the chance to win a copy.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read Winds Of Freedom. It has such an interesting story line. I cant imagine how anyone in real life deals with a missing person.
    Thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate everyone's interest. Thank you! Like Jackie, I find the horror of having a loved one disappear hard to imagine. We are blessed to know our God not only resides in heaven but is omnipresent and omniscient, along with multiple other amazing attributes. What a privilege to know that He hears our concerns and no trial or terror is beyond his reach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very surprising list of 3. Most interesting though.

    What an inspiration to plant the idea. The mind boggles. No wonder your writer brain took this & ran with it.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete