Friday, December 20, 2013

Teresa Pollard's "Tokens of Promise"

Teresa Pollard


A Child is Born
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given…(Isaiah 9:6) 
     I remember vividly the day each of my children was born.  The last one was over thirty years ago, but it could have been yesterday.  Yes, I remember the pain, but much more I remember the great joy.  When my oldest daughter was born, total strangers came into my room to tell me she was the most beautiful newborn baby they had ever seen.  When my son was born, he was the largest baby in the nursery, so people admired him greatly too.  And when my youngest was born, she was so tiny (at least compared to the other two) but still perfect in my sight.  Kristina, my oldest is a definite Type A personality; driven, with a gift of organization, and a passion for getting things done.  My son, Kevin is Type B, seemingly content to amble through life--that is, until you put him behind the wheel of his truck on a drag strip.  Then you will see exactly how fast he can go!  I’ve never heard of a type C personality, but if there is such a thing, my daughter Kara had it.  She has been described as “tough as nails,” “a spitfire,” and her gifts were tenacity, an intense loyalty, and an ability for peacemaking that carried through everything she did.  I’ve often wondered how the same two parents living in the same household could produce three children who could not have been more different if they had been born on different planets.  But I shouldn’t have wondered.  Every child is unique and special in their own way, and a deliberate gift from our Heavenly Father to the world.   
     But of course, Jesus isn’t just any child.  He is the One and Only Son of God, sent to be born in a manger, live a perfect life, and die on a cruel cross for my sin.  The Bible tells us quite a bit about His personality.  He was certainly driven.  From the age of twelve, He was already about His Father’s business.  His gifts for organization and getting the job done were phenomenal.  He organized twelve men to carry the gospel to the entire world!  At the same time, He could never be hurried, content to walk everywhere He went, and even then, on His own (and His Father’s) schedule, not when other’s would demand it.  He would stop to heal an old woman even when a synagogue official wanted Him to hurry to heal his daughter, and Mary and Martha would learn that even when He was four days late, He was still right on time.  And He was as tough as the nails that were driven through His hands in His tenacity to win the battle against Satan for our souls.  The temple merchants certainly saw the “spitfire” side of His nature when He overturned the money changing tables and cleansed the temple!  He is the Prince of Peace Who brought us peace with God and peace with each other at the price of His own blood.  What kind of personality would you call that?  ABC?  We can’t really define it, can we?  He was the One and Only unique God-man, the Son of the Most High!

     This Christmas Day, as we celebrate His birth, we must consider why He came.  He came to show us Who God is in a way that nature or words in a Book could never do.  He came to show us the personality of God:  Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Self-Control.  He personified them all.  At the same time, He came to be that second Adam: the man Who got it right and did it God’s way so that He was able to pay the penalty for sin on our behalf.  Scientists keep looking for a missing link, but they’re looking in the wrong direction.  Jesus came to be our link to God Himself.  All God-All man, He is our Mediator, our Redeemer, our Intercessor, our Hope, and our King!  “For unto us a Child is born.  Unto us a Son is given.  And the government will be upon His shoulders.”  The first time He came as a baby in a manger.  The next time, He comes back riding on a white horse as the King of the Universe that He always has been.  Please be ready when that day comes!  God bless you.             
“Tokens of Promise” by Teresa Pollard
Inspired by The Bible, Genesis 38, “Tokens of Promise” is an imagination of the love story of Judah and Tamar.
“Beware, Prince of Hebron, her witching ways are strong.”  Ben Qara’s evil words still rang in his ears.  Judah is sure he was bewitched by the beautiful Tamar.  She is all he can think about.  But no, it must not be.  He will not break his vow to Yah.  He already has a wife, and he will have only one.  Tamar must marry Er.
Rescued from disgrace by the handsome Judah, Tamar is already in love with the kind stranger.  She eagerly followed Emi’s advice on how to win him.  It almost worked.  He’d promised.  If only his servant hadn’t come at that moment, she’d be his wife now instead of going home with him to be his daughter-in-law.   Why had her father agreed to this?  Surely he could see her destiny was with Judah?

Release date: June 4, 2013
Category: Christian/Fiction/Biblical
ISBN (paperback): 978-1938708145   Retail $14.99.  Available at Amazon.
ISBN (ebook): 978-1-938708-18-3  Retail $3.99.  Available for Kindle and Nook.

Teresa Pollard is from Richmond, Virginia, and was saved at a young age.  She has a Masters degree in English and Creative Writing from Hollins College, and has served as a Sunday School teacher and children’s worker for most of the last forty years.  Married for forty years, she was devastated by divorce and the death of her youngest daughter, but God has blessed her with a new home and another grandson, and she now resides in Dacula, Georgia.  Her website is TeresaPollardWrites.com
Teresa’s books published by HopeSprings Books:

12 comments:

  1. I've read Teresa's book "Not Guilty" and loved it! Winning a copy of "Tokens of Promise" would be great. Sounds like a really good read.

    My heart aches upon reading that Teresa was devastated by divorce after 40 years. I went through a divorce of 25 years and it was worse than grieving a death, in my opinion and I've done that too, when I lost my second husband from a brain tumor. I was sorry to read about the death of Teresa's youngest daughter. We have both traveled the road of divorce and death of a loved one.

    God too has blessed me! I have been happily married to a Godly man for almost 10 years now.

    Blessings!
    Judy B
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy. God bless you. I'm so sorry for your losses too. God is good. He walks with us through the fire. Hope you enjoy Tokens of Promise. God bless, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judy. I would really love to win this, read it and review it. jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Squiressj, Thank you. Good luck and God bless.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This sounds wonderful! What a nicely different take on the tale. I would love to win it! sheiladeeth at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sheila, thank you. God bless you. Hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas everyone. Sorry to be so long in getting back to this. I'm at my son's for Christmas, and the internet doesn't work at his house, and all the libraries are closed.

      Delete
  6. This looks like an interesting story line, would love to add it to my reading pile.
    thank you
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, thank you. Hope it makes it to your pile. God bless.

      Delete
  7. I would love to read this.
    rdunson(at)knology(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you Deborah, Merry Christmas. Hope you enjoy Tokens of Promise.

      Delete
  8. Thank you everyone for your comments. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. As soon as Julie sends me the winner's name and address, I will send a copy of Tokens of Promise. Even if you didn't win, I hope you will take time to read this story, as I think you will be blessed by it. God bless you all. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry Dawn. I've been writing so much lately, I got confused. Please forgive me my senior moment. Thank you for having me on your blog. God bless. Teresa .

    ReplyDelete