Monday, November 4, 2013

Shannon Vannatter's "Rodeo Queen"


 Title: Rodeo Queen

Cover blurb:
CAITLYN WENTWORTH LOVES BEING A RODEO QUEEN
Until she starts receiving threatening letters from a stalker. The good news is, the Texas Ranger assigned to her case is none other than her former sweetheart Mitch Warren—the man who chose his career over love.
Mitch vows to focus on protecting the woman he's never forgotten. But Caitlyn stirs up memories best left in the past. When Mitch insists on hiding Caitlyn away on his family's San Antonio ranch, will he keep things professional or seek out a second chance?

1) How did this story come to you?
This story was in my head from the time I was a teenager. I watched a lot of cop shows (Starsky & Hutch, Vegas, and Baretta) back then, so my heroine had a stalker and a bodyguard. I’d play the scenes out in my head, change them around, add stuff, and change the ending. I was in my thirties before I realized, it was a book.

In 1999, it was the first book I wrote. And it was badly written. My first line was – It was a beautiful day. Isn’t that evocative? It was set in rural Arkansas where I live. Back then, I got fifty-two rejection letters on it. But I always loved the characters and the story.

2) Tell us about the journey to getting this book published.

It took me 9 1/2 years to learn what I was doing and finally get a contract with a different book. But when I got the opportunity to continue my rodeo series last year, I thought of that first manuscript.

It was so bad, I didn’t try to fix it, I started over. Since the series is set in the Fort Worth area, San Antonio area, and Aubrey, TX - my heroine became a blingy western clothing store owner and Rodeo Queen at the Fort Worth Stockyards and the hero became a Texas Ranger. I’m almost as excited about this book releasing as I was my first published book.

3) Tell me three things about yourself that would surprise your readers.
* I prefer pie over cake.
* I love dogs and cats equally. Dogs are usually more loving, but if you start with very young kittens, they grow up to be very affectionate. My cat comes when I call him – just like my dog. And my cat hugs me. He’ll put his paws on each of my shoulders and press his face in my neck.
* I’m an only child and my son is an only child.


4) What are you working on now and what's next for you?
While I wait to hear news on the proposal I recently submitted, this French guy character has bugged me for several years. I’m working at getting his story on paper at the moment. I don’t have any publishers interested in this book, but if I don’t get it on paper, it won’t leave me alone.

5) Parting comments?
Thanks for having me Dawn. I’ll be around today if anyone wants to ask any questions.

7) Where can fans find you on the internet?
Website: shannonvannatter.com
Blog: shannonvannatter.com/blog
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shannontaylorvannatter
Twitter: stvauthor

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this and would love t win it, read it, and review it. jrs362 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please throw my name in the Stetson! I'd love a chance to win this. Sounds like a fun read!!!
    emily_reynolds (at) Hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to win this book.

    wwchildren at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi squiresj,
    Thanks for stopping by.

    Emily,
    That's funny. The hero back in book 2 of this series is named Stetson.

    Wilani,
    Hope you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be happy happy happy to win. angelachesnut246@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rodeo Queen sounds like a great read, Thank you for review nice to meet(new to me) author.
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good book. I am from Texas and love to read stories set there.
    susanmsj at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Angela,
    I get that reference. My son loves Duck Dynasty.

    Jackie,
    Glad to make your acquaintance.

    Susan,
    Texas is my 2nd favorite state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love second chance stories & when you throw a stalker into the mix - happy days.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mary,
    I've enjoyed my high school sweethearts reunited in the last three books of this series. Maybe I have a thing about it, since I married mine. But a year later, not years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound like a fun read. Thanks for the opportunity to receive a copy. ajhawkeauthor at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. A J Hawke,
    I hope it's as fun to read as it was to write.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a winner! Random.org chose Jackie McNutt. I appreciate Dawn hosting me and everyone else for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete